Sunday, February 14, 2010

My Name is Salil & I Recommend “My Name Is Khan”-Movie Review

There are only two types of films (for me)….one: films, I watch and I say I liked it, or I did not like it(in short I watch them and I forget) and Others are those, when I watch them and I say I am Glad I watched it……..My Name is Khan falls in the second category, you know I just love the way Hindi films are made with their intentions and goodness, I mean I am a huge fan of English movies, but there are a few things I think they probably will never be able to put into their films, that is, a true innocent heart and that is what Karan Johar has done this time and that is why exactly I recommend My Name is Khan to everyone this weekend.

Beautiful

My Name Is Khan

Synopsis: Born with Asperger’s syndrome Rizvan Khan, grown up under encouragement and teachings of his mother and private education moves to America to live with his brother Zakir and Zakir’s wife Haseena after her mother’s death, adjusting with new and different places he meets Mandira a hair dresser and the two get along well together and decide to marry and settle down and then comes the 9/11 and its after effects faced by Muslims in US which leads to a tragedy so severe that Rizvan is compelled to journey across the US to talk to the president so that he could tell everyone else that, before following any religion he is a human being, who loves others and deserves to be loved by others, not the hatred and inhumanity, he is innocent, he can define the right and wrong the way his mother taught him when he was a child, to tell everyone that his religious practice does not advertise terrorism, or in very simple words to say “My Name is Khan and I am not a terrorist”.

Director Karan Johar is certainly not one of my favourite directors, those I always look forward to, but today I am overwhelmed by the sweetness and smoothness of his narrative, this film is really beautiful, and once the film is over I was very happy and pleased to watch this film. The way he executes the sensitive scenes between Kajol and SRK, he brings “Hum Honge Kamyaab ek din melody” and gets it sung in english translated version in a church, when Rizvan’s mother teaches him how Hindus and Muslims are equal or when he pats Jimmy Shergill, emotions are handled in the most natural way, I think I was happy to see Rizvan win ultimately. Mr. Johar you have shaken something deep inside, cheers for you.

The Screenplay (Shibani Bhatija) flows without hiccups or halts, it holds solid content and finely immersed subplots to leave an impact and get the message clearly.

Dialogues(Nirenjan Iyengar, Shibani Bhatija) are another high point of the film, they are meant to speak a human’s heart, and they do it without manipulation.

Music(Music for songs and Background Score by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy and Lyrics By:Niranjan Iyengar) is kept as decent as possible it is neither loud nor suppressed, songs played in background add to the flow of the film, Background Score which elevates the intensity(note the theme which plays), are all just so well placed.

Technically this film boasts of probably the best technicians in our film industry Cinematography(DOP: Ravi K Chandran) is a visual pleasure, it is stylish yet it colourizes the pictures wonderfully, Editing could be improved, the whole media thing could be a little more exciting.

As far as Flaws are concerned mini-plots(although wonderful) could have been more hard hitting , the terrorist reporting could be a bit improved plot. These are all Minor flaws, not too strong enough to mark the ultimate effect of the screenplay.

Performances are outstanding in this film, SRK has done it, he has changed his image in my mind, of an ordinary actor(although I was impressed with him in Swades and Chak De India), this time he blows me over, with his Asperger’s syndrome he just does not over act like people do usually for their roles in mentally challenged characters, he goes so naturally that you forget Shah Rukh Khan is in front of you, you feel that as if it is Rizvan in front of you. Kajol does not need any explanation, she has been doing it, she was, she is and probably will always continue to be my favourite, she is enchanting as bubbly and mournful Mandira. Others would be the child artists Tanay Chheda who plays Rizvan as a child and Yuvaan Makaar as Sameer leave an impression, Zareena Wahab(Rizvan’s mother), Jimmy Shergill(Zakir), Sonya Jehan(Haseena) are appropriate.

Finally, I would say I loved this film, it is beautiful, it is clean and it is mesmerizing,whatever you are doing this week, do it, do not leave it, but add “Watch: My Name is Khan” to your do’s this week…….please watch it and encourage this film.

My Rating: ★★★★½(Awesome/Got Connected to it)

0 comments:

Post a Comment